Yay! It's a Blog!

NaSoAlMo 2012, Day 9

November 9, 2012 | Comments

Day 9 of NaSoAlMo was a make up day for Eddie Vedder. He was supposed to perform in Austin for my birthday celebration back in April, but was suffering from nerve damage in his hand. Being a kind-hearted person, I allowed him to reschedule during my November song-writing vacation.

Before my evening with Eddie Vedder, I went to Gourdough's Public House for a donut burger. I was craving a fancy coffee drink, too, but Gourdough's didn't have their fancy coffee drink making process going, so I postponed the fancy coffee drinking until later.

Later at Flipnotics, I drank a latte and tried to write lyrics.

Flipnotics Latte

There still wasn't much going on in the lyric writing quadrant of my brain.

I hear they don't teach cursive anymore
And typing seems more useful

A song about cursive? I've written worse.

After an hour or so, I put my half finished latte in the bus tray as there didn't seem to be enough room in my gut to finish it. I put my not even half finished lyrics into my purse and headed for Bass Concert Hall at the University of Texas.

I arrived just after sunset and found the U.T. Tower lit orange with the number 100 to celebrate 100 years of the School of Human Ecology. I felt Longhorn pride.

UT Tower 100

Glen Hansard was the opening act. I wasn't familiar with him and enjoyed his set very much. Turns out, I should have been familiar with him. His band, The Frames, is responsible for that sweet sweet song "Falling Slowly." It's also featured in the movie Once which I really, really, really want to see now.

Eddie Vedder's set was wonderful. I felt deeply inspired and during both performances, I pulled my lyric notebook from my purse and wrote words in the dark.

To make the sound of my words as fluid as sign language

Eddie Vedder ended his show with Hard Sun. He asked several people to help him end the show including Glen Hansard and Clarence Clemmons' nephew and saxophonist Jake Clemmons. It was a big song and a perfect encore.

I walked to my car full of happy.

comments powered by Disqus